Theoretical Physics PhD
Our graduate program offers research opportunities for PhD research within the Theoretical Physics Group. It reflects the broad spectrum of research we undertake. You can get a flavour for our research by browsing the research pages and interests of members of the group:
Prospective PhD students will in general have or expect to obtain a first class degree in physics or mathematics.
EPSRC studentships are available for UK citizens and there is also the possibility of fully-funded studentships for EU citizens. In addition, each year the department funds several elite teaching assistantships (with associated scholarships for up to four years). For non-EU citizens the College of Engineering and Physical Science offers a small number of fully funded Postgraduate Elite Scholarships which pays full fees, maintenance and give a research grant.
Timetable for applications
We welcome enquiries at all times of the year. While there is no application deadline, most applications are received between December and March for places starting the following October. Applications for Postgraduate Elite Scholarships need to be received by the end of December and Teaching Assistantships have an April deadline.
Further information can be found at:
- The University of Birmingham Postgraduate Prospectus
- How to apply.
- The School of Physics and Astronomy site
Research Student Life
Our research students form a vibrant community within the Research Group. There are numerous activities laid on by the Research Gorup to support our PhD researchers:
- Seminars: The Theoretical Physics Group runs a broad program of seminars. Physicists from other institutions (both in the UK and overseas) are invited to talk about their research.
- Group talks: This weekly meeting of the group provides a forum for group members to present their research to the rest of the group. We also provide an introductory background to the forthcoming seminars.
- Friday discussions: A very informal gathering over a sandwich lunch where the latest research breakthroughs, papers and ideas are up for free-flowing discussion.
- Postgraduate lecture courses: We run a series of postgraduate lecture courses, enabling PhD students to get a strong grounding in many areas of theoretical condensed matter physics.
- Social events: The entire Theory Group have frequent social events.
If you would like more information about specific research areas then please contact members of staff directly, either by email or telephone. If you would like to apply for a PhD place with us then you can use the online application form.